promoImg1
Head's blog
SUB MENU

Technology and Innovation

Bedford Girls’ School has always prided itself on being innovative in the classroom, and our use of technology is instrumental in meeting this objective. We continually strive to ensure that our students are digitally fluent, adaptable and confident to use technology in ways that enhance their learning and life skills.    

Following extensive trials, September 2014 saw the School embark on its most significant Technology project to date as we rolled out iPad minis to all students across the whole School.

One of the few schools in the country to use iPads so comprehensively in the curriculum, the device has transformed the way BGS students learn and the way our teachers teach.

Supporting the traditional teaching and learning methods, iPads offer the girls the flexibility they need in a fast-paced learning environment, with all their work from each subject available on one device. Instead of using a plethora of textbooks and folders, girls can now research, edit and submit work, in a more efficient way – providing a greater interactive and collaborative experience. From an early age girls make independent decisions about which learning tools, whether that is iPads or more traditional tools, are the most appropriate for the tasks in hand.

With students proactively looking for solutions on their iPads and sharing ideas with their peers, teachers are now able to spend more time working with individuals and small groups. In addition, teachers can plan innovative lessons on iPads and share their feedback instantly on work submitted online.

The School’s success of implementing iPads into the curriculum has helped us become an Apple Distinguished School – an honour only a handful of schools in the UK can lay claim to. The title is reserved for schools, who are invited by Apple to apply, that meet criteria for innovation, leadership and educational excellence, and demonstrate a clear vision of exemplary learning environments.

Central to the Apple Distinguished School award is BGS’ production of iBooks. A regular stream of free iBooks, covering a variety of subjects and topics, are available for the girls to use for their curriculum and project work, with some published on iTunes.

As part of ensuring the girls will have the skills that will appeal to employers, the Computer Science Department also provides students the opportunity to study computer science at GCSE, where they learn coding, create apps and games and edit both digital video and audio. For many years women have been under-represented in IT and associated sectors, but with these skills our girls to flourish in such industries.

promoImg1
Head's blog