This website uses cookies to track usage anonymously - so we can analyse traffic statistics & improve our website. Learn more or opt out >> Accept

IB in the Media

In 2012, Education Secretary, Michael Gove, anounced the biggest shake up in examinations for a decade with plans to scrap GCSEs in favour of a baccalaureate. Unsurprisingly, this move has focussed much attention on the International Baccalaureate, a diploma programme consistently praised for its holistic approach to education and its commitment to personal development and public service. 

Here are a few examples of the overwhelmingly positive response to IB in the media:

"The International Baccalaureate may prove the savour of the English education system"

The Times

“As well as offering a broad curriculum, the IB has a second advantage: its grades are beyond reproach. A-levels are driven by political pressure to provide ever-rising results. The IBO, however, prides itself on political independence. It was conceived in the mid-1960s by a group of mostly British teachers at the International School in Geneva, who wanted to create a single, multi-national syllabus that could apply to anyone, anywhere. It is an unwavering gold standard” 

The Daily Telegraph

“The IB does put you significantly ahead in the global race for the best universities”.

Financial Times

“In a survey by ACS International Schools, university admissions' tutors said while A-levels should not be phased out, the IB was the "best preparation for university". In another fillip for students undertaking these studies, audit and consulting company Deloitte, which takes on more than 1,400 graduates and undergraduates in the UK each year, says the points system used by the IB makes it easier to differentiate between candidates”. 

The Independent

“In the range of contemporary styles of school education on offer in the UK by far the best is the International Baccalaureate. One of its compulsory elements is theory of knowledge, a course aimed at getting students to reflect critically on diverse ways of knowing and on areas of knowledge, and to consider the role and nature of knowledge in our own culture & in other cultures. It also aims to make students aware of themselves as thinkers, and to prompt them to understand the complexity of knowledge and to use it responsibly. These are excellent aims: this course should be compulsory in all schools everywhere. One outcome might be a better world”. 

A C Grayling, The Guardian