This website uses cookies to track usage anonymously - so we can analyse traffic statistics & improve our website. Learn more or opt out >> Accept

The Structure of IB

The IB Diploma is a well-established two year course of study towards a qualification recognised internationally by universities and employers.

Students take six subjects from a range of disciplines, typically three at Higher Level (HL) and three at Standard Level (SL) and in addition, complete a research essay, a course in the Theory of Knowledge (ToK) and a programme of creativity, action and service (CAS).

One Subject must be chosen from each of Groups 1 to 5 with the sixth subject chosen from any of Groups 1 to 6:

Group 1: English

Group 2: French, German, Spanish, Latin

Group 3: History, Geography, Economics

Group 4: Biology, Chemistry, Physics

Group 5: Mathematics

Group 6: Visual Arts, Theatre Studies, Music

In addition the programme has three core requirements:

The extended essay is a requirement for students to engage in independent research through an in-depth study of a question relating to one of the subjects they are studying.

Theory of knowledge is a course designed to encourage each student to reflect on the nature of knowledge by critically examining different ways of knowing (perception, emotion, language and reason) and different kinds of knowledge (scientific, artistic, mathematical and historical).

Creativity, action, service (CAS) requires that students actively learn from the experience of doing real tasks beyond the classroom.

These are compulsory elements but offer plenty of scope for girls to personalise their study and to take part in a wide-range of enriching activities beyond the classroom. For more information on each of the three components, click on the links above.