We are encouraging park and walk schemes to help the issue of parking outside the school gates. We have identified parking locations and drop off points near to the school in order to help plan your daughter’s journey to school.
Local Car Parks
Our nearest public car park is Longholme public car park.It is easily accessible by footpath from the school site. It is located on the roundabout at the end of Cardington Road. Allow plenty of time for re-entry to the roundabout on leaving, especially during rush hour.
Review other public parking options here.
Drop off points for Bedford Girls’ School
If you have to bring a private vehicle close to the school to drop off, you need to be aware that there are parking restirctions in place along Cardington Road and parking wardens operate frequently in the adjacent area. There is a Traffic Regulation Order (TRO) to impose no waiting/loading restrictions along Cardington Road. Please observe these parking regulations and park considerately in our local neighbourhood.
The best places to pick up and drop off are:
1. Before 8am, parents are welcome to drop off their daughters in the staff car park on Chethams Road. This is a drop-off point only and should not be used for collection after school. In the morning, parents and siblings are invited to join their children for breakfast at out breakfast club. Please take care while moving around on site and keep speeds to 5mph.
2. The School has leased 16 spaces at Bedford Rowing Club Boathouse on Duck Mill Lane (under the Park Inn Hotel on the right hand side as you drive in) for exclusive use by parents for drop off and pick up. These spaces are available between 7.30am and 5.30pm, Monday to Friday during term time only. Please do not use these spaces outside these times. You must display a BGS Parent Car Parking Permit in order to use these 16 spaces at the Rowing Club or the Club may clamp vehicles.
3. It is sometimes possible to drop off and collect from the BGS car park on Cardington Road by the astroturf although restrictions do apply. Please note that this area is for drop-off and collection only and the entry gates are open to parents from 4.15pm.
4. Longholme public car park is a good pick up and drop off point as it is easily accessible by footpath from the school site. It is free as long as you do not leave your car. It is located on the roundabout at the end of Cardington Road. Allow plenty of time for re-entry to the roundabout on leaving, especially during rush hour.
5. Girls can be dropped off on the Embankment and can use the bridges to cross the river and footpaths to enter the school. It would be advisable for girls to use these in pairs especially on dark mornings or evenings.
Bedford Park and Ride
For Sixth Form students and visitors to the school we recommend use of the Park and Ride scheme operated by Bedford Borough Council. This is open 24 hours 7 days a week and parking is free at the car park on site (MK42 9XF). Payment is only needed for the shuttle bus service operating frequently from the Park and Ride and dropping off in the town centre. Cyclists are also welcome to use this service.