This website uses cookies to track usage anonymously - so we can analyse traffic statistics & improve our website. Learn more or opt out >> Accept

Sixth Form

When girls enter the Sixth Form they will be able to follow either a course leading to A levels or a course leading to the International Baccalaureate Diploma (IB). To find out more about the IB Diploma click here.

Whichever route girls choose to take they will all have Games lessons, PSHE lessons and will be expected to take part in the CAS (Creativity, Action and Service) programme.

A Levels

Girls normally study four AS subjects in Year 12 and three subjects in Year 13.

The range of subjects currently offered includes:

• Art
  • Biology
  • Business Studies
  • Chemistry
  • Classical Civilisation
  • Design Technology
  • Drama and Theatre Studies
  • Economics
  • English Language
  • English Literature
  • Food Technology
  • French
  • Further Mathematics
  • Geography
  • German
  • History
  • Latin
  • Mathematics
  • Music
  • Physical Education
  • Physics
  • Politics
  • Psychology
  • Religious Studies
  • Spanish
  • Textiles.

International Baccalaureate

For the IB course students take six subjects from a range of disciplines, typically three at Higher Level (HL) and three at Standard Level (SL) and in addition, complete a research essay, a course in the Theory of Knowledge (ToK) and a programme of creativity, action and service (CAS).

One Subject must be chosen from each of Groups 1 to 5 with the sixth subject chosen from any of Groups 1 to 6:

Group 1: English

Group 2: French, German, Spanish, Latin

Group 3: History, Geography, Economics

Group 4: Biology, Chemistry, Physics

Group 5: Mathematics

Group 6: Visual Arts, Theatre Studies, Music

In addition the programme has three core requirements:

The extended essay is a requirement for students to engage in independent research through an in-depth study of a question relating to one of the subjects they are studying.

Theory of knowledge is a course designed to encourage each student to reflect on the nature of knowledge by critically examining different ways of knowing (perception, emotion, language and reason) and different kinds of knowledge (scientific, artistic, mathematical and historical).

Creativity, action, service (CAS) requires that students actively learn from the experience of doing real tasks beyond the classroom.

Students take written examinations at the end of the programme, as well as internal assessment tasks in school throughout the two years. The marks awarded for each course range from 1 (lowest) to 7 (highest). Students can also be awarded up to three additional points for their combined results on theory of knowledge and the extended essay. The diploma is awarded to students who gain at least 24 points, subject to certain minimum levels of performance across the whole programme and to satisfactory participation in the creativity, action, and service requirement. The highest total that a Diploma Programme student can be awarded is 45 points.