DofE gives young people (aged 14-24) the chance to develop skills for work and life through a programme of three levels, which when completed, leads to a Bronze, Silver or Gold Duke of Edinburgh's Award.
Bedford Girls’ School pupils can take part by completing a personally selected programme of activities in four sections (five if going for Gold) - Volunteering, Physical, Skills, Expedition and for Gold, a Residential.
There are many benefits of taking part in DofE including developing self-confidence and a sense of responsibility and achievement. Participants also discover new skills, interests and talents, while making new friends. The Awards are widely recognised by employers and Higher Education Institutions as key indicators of teamwork, leadership, problem-solving and decision-making skills.
The Awards gives an opportunity for:
- enjoying a wide variety of physical, creative and aesthetic experiences which encouraging personal growth and development
- experiencing new lifestyles and cultures outside your own immediate neighbourhood, possibly abroad
- taking decisions of increasing complexity and accept responsibility for the consequences
- experience a variety of learning and teaching styles with people from different walks of life
- discover new talents and abilities and test values and beliefs
- give a continuing personal commitment of service to others
- establish and sustain inter-personal relationships
- negotiate your own personal programme of participation, seeking out and researching relevant information, and gradually take responsibility for their own learning
- understanding your strengths and weakness, assess your personal level of competence, increase your own personal effectiveness and take responsibility for your own lives while having a great time!
Don't just take our word for it though!
Elie Sear comments on her experience:
Duke of Edinburgh Gold Award participant 2010-2011 (Dame Alice)
"Going from Bronze to Gold has been perhaps the most rewarding experience of my life. I've climbed a mountain, crossed rivers and learnt the meaning of 'light rain' in Wales! I've come out having made friends and memories which I will never forget. If you enjoy challenging and bettering yourself then I would not hesitate to recommend the award to you!"
Read her full report on her Gold DofE.
Find out more information: http://www.dofe.org/default.aspx